Thursday, February 04, 2010

Reducing pain in a nice way

I broke my back many moons ago and still suffer from the ache in my lower back as well as my neck, as I'm sure most of you do given we're sitting at our desks for 8 hours a day.

I was introduced to the magic of TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) by my hospital physio and at first found it the strangest thing. But it works. And it still works for me, so many years on.

Here's the science bit...the machine delivers small painless electrical pulses to the body via electrodes placed on the skin. This blocks the way pain signals are sent to to the brain and stimulates the body enough to create endorphins - our own pain relieving chemical.

Great for sporting injuries, whiplash, backpain, menstrual pain, sciatica, and arthritis, to name just a few.

Small enough to put in your pocket, you can use this whilst you're on the go and no one would know. Often I take it to work and use it at my desk. Why put up with pain when you don't have to.

It hasn't changed my life, but it has let me find some relief to my problem areas and that in itself has made a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment