Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Joshi's Holistic Detox



Are you contemplating a detox this January? Already planning for the seasonal blitz, knowing you cannot resist the Christmas excess.

I was laid up with swine flu , when I decided it was time I kicked my health back into shape, a bit of an exercise junky by nature and a healthy eater, I wasn’t phased by the detox I found online.

The Joshi Detox at first glance seems drastic, but I was intrigued by the suggestion of quick results “if no one comments within two weeks on how great you’re looking – you must be cheating’ – Joshi.

Nishi Joshi an osteopath and diet guru runs The Joshi Clinic from Wimpole Street, London. He has a host of celebrity clients, including Gwyneth Paltrow, Patsy Kensit and Ralph Fiennes and claims the detox to be craving-free, though you have to adapt your diet significantly. His book, Joshi’s Holistic Detox – ‘21 days to a healthier, slimmer you – for life’ is rooted in Indian tradition of ancient science and the wisdom of Ayurvedic medicine.

The crux of the detox is to bring your body from an acidic state back to alkaline, to achieve this, there are many foods that have to come out of your diet for 21 days,. If you are keen, you can take a saliva PH test before and after to see your results. He calls it a ‘Holistic’ detox because it also addresses lifestyle, emotional needs, home and work life, activity levels diet and external stresses.

The range of foods to avoid at first seemed endless; no red meat, no dairy produce, no fruit except bananas, no wheat, gluten, yeast, no alcohol, no biscuits, cakes, no jams, spreads except honey, no caffeine except herbal teas, no sugar, no artificially produced flavourings, e.g. tomato ketchup.

Being a creature of habit, I enjoyed my new short and limited shopping list. I had a trolley to be proud of when I did my food shop, bursting with healthy foods. The book does offer some recipes, though I found few that wetted my appetite so I searched online instead and managed to eat a different meal everyday.

I approached week one fully committed, bringing snacks such as carrot and celery stick, rice cakes and honey and lunches of home made soups and salads into work. I replaced caffeine with herbal teas, finding new ones all the time to keep it interesting. Licorice tea remains my favourite. I ate meat every night such as salmon, chicken and turkey.

I ate much more often than my previous scanty diet where I missed meals a lot and snacked often on sugary treats. I was glad for the change and I experienced no cravings at all. Week 2, I spent in St Ives Cornwall – probably the biggest challenge during the 3-weeks to be away from home and to have to decline all holiday treats.

As Joshi recommended, I amended my exercise regime instead of continuing my habit of lunch hours in the gym, I left the office and walked to the local swimming pool, where I benefited so much more, mentally and physically.

After week 3, the change in me was obvious and the compliments kept coming. I had slept the deepest I can ever remember, every single night. My regular tummy bloats and daily sugar cravings had gone completely. My fitness levels increased dramatically from the combination of a tough swimming regime and a high protein diet and my skin was translucent. I was an all new me and took the detox beyond 21 days to 28 because I felt so good on it.

8 weeks on and I’m still sticking to the principals of the detox, it really works for me.
I’m healthier, more energised, better rested, more in control, less stressed, better fed, though lighter on the scales, and most of all really keen to learn a lot more. It has been a positive experience and as a result have signed myself up to study a Nutrition Diploma to learn a lot more about the good I have done myself.

So if you are thinking of taking up a detox this January, try this one by February you’ll be ready to start the new year as an all new you.


1 comment: