Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Spa Review: Body Experience, Richmond, London


A tranquil Surrey spa with much more space than meets the eye behind its shopfront


As published by Times Online
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/good_spa_guide/article6883951.ece


Situated among the smart shops and designer boutiques of exclusive Richmond Hill, Body Experience presents a small, glass shopfront, that on entering opens up into a labyrinth of doors and corridors encompassing eight treatment rooms. The spa is also known for its teenage treatments.

Esther, my therapist came down to meet me soon after I’d arrived, a quietly spoken girl who seemed shy at first. She took me upstairs to the calming candle-lit corridors of the spa, the neutral décor and the water feature at the top of the stairs gave me the feeling I could have been anywhere in the world.

I was still on a hundred-miles-an-hour when I realised she was walking so slowly along the corridor in front of me; her pace gave me reason to think about mine and I started to slow down.

She gave me a tour of the rooms that would be available to me during my visit. Firstly the ladies bathroom, a large coffee-and- cream coloured space with walk-in showers complete with Elemis products and a wall of dark wood lockers, where I’d find my luxurious maroon chenille robe and flip flops, and a line of sinks where there were Shiseido and Thalgo products ready for some post-treatment slather. And not forgetting the jug of ice water with lemon, which I noticed was a common feature in every communal space.

And then on to the relaxation room, which had eight or so day beds, one side of the room in velour, the others leather. I waited here for Esther before my treatment in a room called ‘Daydream’.


EXPERIENCE
I filled out a questionnaire before I was taken upstairs, so Esther knew a little about me before she set to work on my 45-minute sea salt body buff and 75-minute Visible Brilliance Elemis facial. She coyly asked me to de-robe and lay face down on the couch for my body scrub. Slowly she applied the ancient sea salts to my back first, then one leg and arm at a time making sure she tucked me back under the towel after each limb was covered, I liked her gentleness, she was very careful not to make any jolting movements so as to keep me as relaxed as possible.

The sea salt buff was just the right rough to give a deep cleanse of the skin, not painful but certainly giving my skin a good going over. I felt thoroughly cleansed and just as I was sinking deeper into relaxation it was time to shower off the salt in the next door wet room. Struggling to find a place for my towel in the wet room I had to put it on the floor, where it got wet. My robe was hung for me on the outside of the door ready for the next part of the treatment. I wondered what might happen if someone was in the corridor while I reached round the door in all my nakedness to get it?

The body butter application, in contrast, felt nourishing to the skin and soothing too. She applied it with gentle strokes and once again put each limb back under the towel as she worked. I really started feeling the effects but thankfully did not need to get up again; she would go straight on to the facial from here.

The bed started to warm up beneath me as she prepared for my facial. One treatment blended into another, she did some feet manipulation and covered my body with a heavy quilt, which just had me dropping off, almost to sleep.

My facial began, Esther’s touch was light and when leaving the mask to dry, she gave me a head massage, hitting my tension spots perfectly. I found myself falling deep into relaxation. The treatment was the perfect tonic. On completion, she allowed me time to come round gently and walked me slowly back to the relaxation room where she told me I could stay for as long as I wished.


FOOD AND DRINK
In the calm of the relaxation room, Esther gave me the choice of peppermint or camomile tea. I opted for peppermint and she left me for just the right amount of time before she arrived with a tea and a small bowl of fruit, which actually was just what I fancied. The relaxation room looks out on the tranquil garden, where you can take tea on a nice day. The spa also offers a spa lunch, afternoon tea, herbal teas, smoothies even a glass of champagne and of course iced water for you to help yourself.


IN-CROWD
I came across two other people post-treatment in the relaxation room. I really enjoyed coming alone and having proper quality time to myself. The spa attracts all sorts as Richmond does itself, from sports fanatics, business professionals, to yummy mums.


WALLET WATCH
I used the exclusive ‘treat-me’ offer for September-October, “Book an Elemis Facial and receive a complimentary body exfoliation.” The Visible Brilliance Elemis Facial cost £88, the Sea Salt body scrub would have been a further £50. On registering, they promptly put me on their mailing list for further offers, I’ll certainly be looking out for them.


NEED TO KNOW
Body Experience, 50 Hill Rise, Richmond, Surrey (020 8334 9999; www.bodyexperience.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment